Monday, August 13, 2012

Quote Mine Update

Today, I happened to catch the latest blog post from Michael Patton, Christian author and founder of Credo House Ministries. He was writing about how the misuse of Matthew 18:20 can imply some harrowing things about our view of God if we're not careful.For those of you who read my post on quote-mining, it is a quick read that will drive home what  I touched on in my post even more. It is an almost perfect example of the end-result when the "quote-mined" version of Christianity becomes too familiar, rather than careful, contextualized thoughts and studies. Michael Patton also makes the point with more grace than I ever could.

If you're not too familiar with Credo House Ministries either, you should check them out in more detail. Consider this an unofficial plug. The original "Credo House" is a traditional coffee house with a theological aim. That is, as you're enjoying your coffee, the material available for passing your time is all theological. Aside from that, the ministry mostly publishes apologetics-oriented books and videos for the laity (average church-goers). In that, it shares much of the same goal and audience as myself. It is clearly a great ministry to support, and I believe he is looking to open more coffee houses for those who may be more business-minded.

I still have some posts to write with follow-up thoughts on my Geisler/"emergent" rants; specifically, I want to look at an objection related to Bible study that implies it should be simple (and not require "scholars"). From there I want to share my experience with Sunday School materials. When I'm satisfied I've tackled all related issues there, I may open my blog back up to finishing my philosophical arguments for God. So stay tuned! I may not update regularly, but I will never stop writing and sharing what I know needs to be said.

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment