Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Faith, Part 1 - Is There A Problem?

At this point, I am approximately halfway through the posts I have planned arguing for God's existence. Although the hardest posts are probably behind me, it is no surprise I might be feeling a short break is in order. But I am not taking a break from blogging completely. There have been numerous topics on my mind recently, which I made note of but "subdued" as I tried to stay focused on my philosophical work. But it is not worth delaying them any longer. A few recent discussions at church have ignited the flames for me, and the reluctance of people to consider deeper insight only stokes the embers. So it is time I weigh in on these issues with more meaty discourse.

Therefore, today begins the first posts in a new mini-series on what I see as one of the most important topics in Christian life. What is that? It is, as the title implies, that magical cure-all word in Christianity - "faith". The use of this word has become so common-place in Christian discussions that it may as well serve as one of the "Top 5 Universal Answers to Sunday School Questions" (God, Jesus, Prayer, Bible and Faith)  In my mind, that cheapens its meaning and usefulness, but more importantly it makes me wonder - are people sure they know what it means? Have they really thought through what they're saying or teaching? Can 1 word really convey such a broad use of meanings, as implied by the average church-goer?

Of course, I would answer in the negative, and for the next part of this series we will look at some ways faith is understood and think about their logical implications. In the meantime, let me clarify that faith is important to me - this is not a debate over how prominent this quality should be in our Christian lives. But looking closer at what it means in certain contexts, I believe, gives it more power for the witness of the church as it goes to win souls in the world. Think about it this way - we often tell people how important faith is, but does it make sense to them? Does it seem real? Does it give them anything other than warm fuzzies? Is there more to it than just "hope" and wishful thinking? Is it serving as a springboard to a deeper and more meaningful Christian life, or just a less stressful one?

In grappling with this subject, and thinking about how the word "faith" is used, I've tried - very hard - to listen to people explain their understanding of the word. That includes the use of the word from pastors and sermons. (sometimes in Christianity, bad teaching comes from pastors; other times, it's just because people aren't getting anything outside their 1 hour across from the pulpit)  This can, for me, be like listening to nails on a chalkboard - not because anyone's voice is that terrible, but I hear the same things repeated ad nauseum. But I believe I finally have adequately grasped what people intend to say - I assume people mean the best! So I hope you find that to be true as I share with you.

In the end, I've come to one conclusion - people genuinely have a grasp of faith that is partially correct. But too often, it is poorly explained and even more poorly lived out or applied. The very things that should strengthen and form our faith get ignored. Or, our faith can be tested and people fight just to pass. Instead, we should be waving a banner of victory with confidence and assurance.  (Romans 8:31) This can't be done, I think, until we fully embrace a comprehensive understanding of what faith is and what it is not. And because it's such a central attribute to a strong Christian walk (Hebrews 11:6), I hope you would agree with me. So stay tuned, and you'll see how I came to these conclusions, and just how the word "faith" can be so controversial.

No comments:

Post a Comment